WMLScript (Wireless Markup Language Script) is the client-side scripting language of WML (Wireless Markup Language). A scripting language is similar to a programming language, but is of lighter weight. With WMLScript, the wireless device can do some of the processing and computation. This reduces the number of requests and responses to/from the server. In the old days, fewer round-trips can improve the performance of your WAP site significantly since data transmission over wireless networks is slow. Today, the performance gained may not be so significant any more as data transmission speed has improved a lot. However, you may still find WMLScript useful since putting some operations at the client-side can reduce the load of your servers.
WMLScript has a number of standard libraries. They contain a lot of useful functions that you should get familiar with. We will talk about them in later parts of this WMLScript tutorial.
One common use of WMLScript is to validate form data. Another common use is to display message boxes to give alerts and error messages or to ask for confirmation of actions (no round-trip is needed for showing message boxes, which helps save bandwidth and improve the WAP application's response time).
WMLScript files have the extension ".wmls". The MIME type is "text/vnd.wap.wmlscript".
|Page 1 of 71||Next Page|
- 1. WMLScript Introduction
- 2. Hello World WMLScript Example
- 3. Compiling WMLScript Code
- 4. WMLScript Language Rules
- 5. Defining WMLScript Functions
- 6. Calling WMLScript Functions
- 7. WMLScript Variables
- 8. WMLScript Data Types
- 9. WMLScript Variables Vs WML Variables
- 10. Passing Arguments to Functions By Value and By Reference
- 11. WMLScript Operators
- 12. WMLScript Conditional Statements
- 13. WMLScript Looping Statements
- 14. WMLScript Standard Libraries Overview
- 15. WMLScript WMLBrowser Standard Library
- 16. WMLScript Dialogs Standard Library
- 17. WMLScript String Standard Library
- 18. WMLScript Float Standard Library
- 19. WMLScript Lang Standard Library
- 20. WMLScript URL Standard Library
- 21. WMLScript Example: Validating Form Data